Table of Content
Wszczepy fakijne – korekcja wysokiej krótkowzroczności i dalekowzroczności.
Myopia is a condition, in which a bundle of parallel rays flowing into the eye is converged in front of the retina. That causes that objects located far away from the eye are seen indistinctly or are perceived as distorted. This may be caused by excessive length of the eyeball, or high bending strength of the cornea or lens. The defect of myopia is measured in dioptres. Phacic lenses are designed to correct myopia from -5.0 to -23.5 dioptres. The ones used by our current models of lenses do not correct astigmatism, or astigmatism defect -commonly referred to as “cylindrical”.
Surgical correction by using phacic implantation is one of many possibilities for correction of myopia. In this method, an artificial lens is placed into the eye. Phacic material is similar to the material used for the lenses in cataract surgery. In case of phacic lens , however, there is no removal of the own lens ; it is implanted into the eye with the natural viewable lens .
Implantation of phacic lens is a procedure performed at the patient’s request, it is not an emergency treatment or any resulting from other medical indications. Phacic lens implantation as any surgery is associated with a potential risk. Despite the highest standards of application and post-operative care, it may lead to complications that can even worsen vision.
Plastic lenses are often compared to contact lenses, which instead of being placed on the eye are implanted into the eye for good. Artisan or Artiflex lens used at our center are implanted into the anterior chamber of the eye and fixed on the iris.
The difference between Artisan and Artiflex lenses
Artisan is a rigid lens, composed of material called PMMA, and the Artiflex lens is made of foldable silicone. Foldable lens can be implanted into the eye through a smaller incision, and thus faster the healing of the surgical wound and visual rehabilitation. Artisan lenses are available in power from -3 up to -23.5 dioptres , and the Artiflex lens from -3 up to – 14.5 dioptres.
Alternative methods of surgical correction of myopia
There are several other methods for correction of medium and high myopia . Laser procedures do not require opening of eye interior as in case of phacic lenses.
- PRK together with excimer laser, models the shape of the cornea and allows you to correct the defects up to about -10 , 0 dioptres
- LASIK is a two-phase procedure . In the first stage, cornea segment is cut mechanically or with a lser , and then under the corneal petal, modelling is performed , and finally the petal falls into its place . The procedure allows for correction of approximatelyup to -10.0 dioptres At high myopia, laser procedures provides poor quality of vision , repetitive defects and other complications . Therefore, these procedures are not applied at high myopia
- Refractive lens replacement is an intraocular method and involves the removal of own healthy lens of patient, and then the lens is implanted in the place of the artificial lens . Because these treatments are associated with an increased risk of retinal detachment, they are recommended for patients with very high defects .
Advantage of phacic lenses over other surgical methods
- The possibility of correcting high myopia.
- Stable refractive effect , much better than in laser techniques.
- No effect on the central part of the cornea, which undergoes irreversible changes in case of laser techniques.
- The reversibility of treatment – a phacic lens can be removed from the eye.
- The procedure leaves intact patient`s own lens , and therefore does not deprive the eye of accommodation.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF PHACIC LENS IMPLANTATION
If you wear contact lenses , the doctor will tell you how long before surgery, or prior to the qualifying examination the lenses will have to be taken off. In general, soft contact lenses should be removed about a week before surgery, and hard lenses about 3-4 weeks before . This is due to the fact that contact lenses change cornea shape and a certain period of time is needed for the cornea to regain its original and stable shape
The doctor will make a tiny hole in the colored part of the eye, called the iris to prevent the build-up of fluid behind the phacic lens .The process, during which a hole formed is called iridotomy, and it is performed during surgery , or 2 weeks prior to the surgery with the laser.
Before surgery, the patient receives anesthetic to eliminate pain, which may be under local anesthesia or general . The patient receives respective drugs that constrict the patient’s pupil and next anesthesia is given , and the surgeon performs an incision in the cornea in order to insert an artificial lens . The lens is inserted between the iris and cornea . stitches are placed on the wound and later they are removed after healing . In case of foldable lens, suturing of the wound is usually not required. After surgery , a protective dressing is sometimes put on the eye . On the first day after surgery an ophthalmologic check is needed ; the next visits will be determined depending on the current state of the operated eye . Most frequently, some improvement in vision is observed already on the first day after surgery , but full improvement and stabilization of vision usually takes several weeks. The patient can usually return to daily activities a few days after surgery. During surgery, only one eye is operated on ; the other may undergo surgery no sooner than 1-2 weeks . T he most convenient time will be established by the surgeon, depending on process of healing of the first operated eye .
Am I a candidate for the correction of vision defects by using phacic lens?
Candidates for the implantation of phakic lens should have:
- Vision defect between -3.0 and -23.5 diopters
- Age between 20-50 years of age,
- Good general health,
- Overall good eyes condition (diseases like glaucoma, cataract, retinal detachment eliminate from surgery),
- Stable refractive defect for at least one year.
- Pregnant and nursing women cannot be operated,
- Strong belief that they want to become free from wearing glasses and contact lenses when making the decision for surgery
If you meet the above mentioned criteria , you can arrange a pre-qualification test whether your eyes may undergo surgery.